(I) Plenary Sessions
(A) My key learning points from each session...
Importance of Water - Dirty and Clean
I learnt about water sanitation in Singapore by viewing examples on Singapore’s past with the Singapore River. There are various organisms that live in unclean water which can cause various infections. Water pollution not just causes diseases, but also harm to the environment, the society, and our economy.
Revolution of Microelectronics Technology
Singapore as well as the rest of the world is experiencing changes in their economy. Asia has since become a focal point for electronics in the 21st century. Therefore, there is a demand for new electronics by the consumers. Integrated circuits are used to develop new products in 9 different areas: Bio, Radio, Auto, Info, Nano, Hydro, Audio, Video, and Energy.
Innovative Breakthroughs in Nano-Science and Nano-Technology
Nano-Technology is mainly useful in that by reducing the size of an object but retaining its volume by cutting it into smaller pieces, the new object can release more energy. Therefore, Nano-Technology can be utilised in a variety of ways, for medicine, industry, research, and warfare.
IT for Animation
Animation is an optical illusion that involves flashing images at a fast speed that they appear to be moving. There is 2D animation and 3D animation, and 2D is the more tedious one. The typical production cycle of a 2D animation project involves the scriptwriting, the storyboarding, character design, sound, frame drawings, painting, shooting, and editing.
Disappearing Glaciers, Rising Sea Levels, and why Gravity is even more Important than you Think
With global warming on the rise, sea levels are rising with the melting of glaciers like those in Greenland and Alaska. Geodesists measure the shape and size of the Earth and the gravity field of Earth to understand about this phenomenon. With satellites, this can be done more efficiently and in more detail. Sea level rise will not be the same in all places, with the highest being at the furthest from the glacier.
(B) Deepest impression…
I found the session on Nanotechnology to be most interesting as Nanotechnology is currently being done on a small scale but has more potential in the future. I like it as Nanotechnology is adaptable and are used for many purposes and can improve our lives in many ways.
(II) My Personal Reflection (Day 3)
1. I choose this project because I have heard about fractional distillation and the importance of operating a distillation column and the risks that come with it.
2. I was involved mainly with operating the column and collecting samples from different parts of the system.
3. There was one challenge which was given to us where we were given a situation where one of the factors in distillation was changed and we had to restore the process by changing other factors to re-balance the liquid and vapor.
4. Through this project, we discovered the process of distillation, the factors that affect the concentration of the distillate obtained, and what to do during a failure in the process.
5. As an individual, I feel that I have a better insight into the topic of Bio-engineering through distillation. It has also sparked my interest in the topic.